Just For You
The Earth's Water Supply
Of all the water on Earth, only a small amount is available for us to use. It's true!
97.2% of the Earth's water supply is salt water.
2.8% is fresh water!
Of the total supply of water on Earth:
- 0.6% is groundwater (we can use some of this water)
- 0.01% is in lakes and streams (we can use some of this water)
- 2.2% is in glaciers and icecaps
- 0.001% is water vapor
How much water does it take?
- Brushing your teeth - 2 to 5 gallons
- Washing the car - 50 gallons
- Using the dishwasher - 8 to 15 gallons
- Flushing the toilet - 1.5 to 4 gallons (each flush)
- Taking a shower or bath - 17 to 24 gallons
- Running the washing machine - 35 to 50 gallons (each load)
It's important that we all work together to save water. About half of the water we use each year is used outdoors - watering the garden and lawn, filling the swimming pool, and washing the car. Ways to reduce your water use outside include using a shut-off faucet when washing the car and landscaping with plants that use less water.